EMS Care Chapter 23 | Toxicological Emergencies | Opioids
We begin this chapter on Care for Toxicological Emergencies and opioids with an introduction to the subject. We subsequently explore in-depth:
- Lesson 1: Definitions
- Lesson 2: Routes of Absorption
- Lesson 3: Drugs of Abuse
- Lesson 4: Poisoning and exposures
- Lesson 5: Medication Overdose
- Lesson 6: Discusses the procedures and protocols for handling emergencies and treatments
- Lesson 7: Synthetic Stimulants
- Lesson 8: Tetrahydrocannabinol or THC
- Lesson 9: Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome
- Lesson 10: Chapter Review
The Core Concepts and takeaways from this chapter include:
- Identify common synthetic stimulants and natural or synthetic THC
- Identify Common Opioids
- Explain common treatment options for a person experiencing an opioid overdose
- Routes of absorption
- Drugs of Abuse
- Poisoning and exposures
- Medication overdose
- If you only want to take the online course for CME credit, you can pay here. The fee for online-only does NOT include a skills session nor (re)certification. You will receive a certificate for CME credit after successful completion of the course.
- This course is part of the EMT Recertification Day 2 curriculum and the New Initial EMT Course. If you sign up for one of those courses, you will be automatically enrolled in this course. Click here for scheduled courses.
- To get credit for this course, you must watch all 8 lessons in their entirety, the course review, and pass the quiz at the end with a score of 75% or better.